Tracheobronchial injury is damage to the airway from blunt or penetrating trauma. Urgent surgery is needed. Sometimes, giving anaesthesia to these patients may be difficult and there should be provision for a heart lung machine in the theatre as standby. Thus, these injuries should be referred to a centre where expertise for handling these injuries exist. We, at Fortis have an experience of over 100 such repairs with 100% success rate.
Our group has treated over 120 patients with tracheal and bronchial narrowing or stenosis. This is a difficult operation and we consider ourselves experienced in this complex surgery
The trachea, also known as the windpipe, is a small airway tube made of cartilage. It is located right below the larynx and continues to go down until the breastbone. While you are breathing normally, the trachea tends to increase in width and size. However, if you are suffering from tracheal narrowing, it might affect your ability to breathe correctly. Thus, whenever you try to take a massive amount of air in your lungs, you will get choked.
Several reasons can cause tracheal narrowings, such as congenital disabilities, tumors, and severe inflammation. If you do not opt for the tracheal narrowing Treatment in Delhi quickly, it can lead to a life-threatening situation. So, let’s learn more about the disease, its symptoms, and management procedures to be aware of the same.
Causes of Tracheal Narrowing
Tracheal narrowing, also known as tracheal Stenosis, can be caused due to several factors. It usually begins as a typical health defect and does not cause too much irritation at the initial stage. However, if it is left untreated, then the disease can severely affect your lifestyle. You might also choke while sleeping.
Learning about the causes of the disease will help you to narrow down the list of underlying diseases. This way, you will mentally prepare for the same, even before the diagnosis and tracheal narrowing Treatment in Delhi.
- External Trauma: The issue of external trauma to a human being’s chest or throat can cause the trachea to narrow down. It usually occurs during childhood, which, in turn, makes it difficult for the parents to understand the issue properly.
- Tumor: Sometimes, the malignant tumors of the throat or anywhere surrounding the trachea tend to press against the organ. It, sequentially, narrows the same and prevents it from broadening up when you are breathing.
- Radiation Therapy: Radiation therapy can be extremely beneficial for cancer patients, especially those trying to recover from the same quickly. However, if you are continuing the same for quite some time, it can lead to tracheal narrowing.
- Inflammation: If you are suffering from a chronic inflammatory disease, it can sometimes affect your tracheal structure. If the organ gets inflamed, then the airways available in between the same will get narrowed down.
- Autoimmune Disorder: There are several autoimmune disorders, such as amyloidosis and sarcoidosis, that can damage the wall of the trachea too. It might cause inflammation and prompt the organ to narrow down again.
Aside from it, various infections, such as tuberculosis, can also lead to tracheal narrowing and cause airway blockage.
Symptoms of Tracheal Narrowing
During the initial phase of the disease, you will not experience any symptoms at all. However, if you do not opt for the tracheal narrowing treatment, then the problem might grow into something bigger. Thus, learning about the signs of the issue and being wary becomes crucial for almost every patient. Let’s get started!
- Severe wheezing or stridor (an almost musical, high-pitched breathing sound, which usually comes out when you are sleeping)
- The frequent occurrence of upper respiratory infections (like pneumonia)
- Bluish color of the skin (it might occur due to the intake of only a small amount of oxygen)
- Having extreme difficulty while breathing, especially in between talking
- Severe coughing or coughing with blood (known as hemoptysis)
- Hoarseness in the voice
- Unnatural respiratory distress or heaviness
- Asthma, which does not react to the treatment and keeps getting much more severe than before
The symptoms above are quite common regarding the diseases of the lungs. So, if you encounter any of these at all, then be sure to visit the Lungs specialist in delhi as quickly as possible. They will proceed with the diagnostic procedure to promptly determine the underlying ailment and start with the tracheal narrowing Treatment in Delhi.
Diagnosis of Tracheal Narrowing
The diagnostic procedures of tracheal narrowing are quite commonly-used and less-painful. Here are a few of them, which the doctor might employ before beginning the tracheal narrowing treatment.
- A pulmonary function test might be conducted to check the current condition of the lungs. It can help the doctor to rule out asthma and tuberculosis.
- A dynamic 3D chest CT scan can help the doctor find out Stenosis’s area while you are inhaling and exhaling.
- A chest X-ray will employ an electromagnetic energy beam to generate your internal tissues’ image and determine the damaged area.
Treatment of Tracheal Narrowing
The tracheal narrowing Treatment in Delhi might include the following –
- Argon Plasma Coagulation: This treatment procedure usually employs a flexible bronchoscope, enabling rapid coagulation without causing trauma to the tissue. It might be an ideal option for those patients who cannot undergo the tracheal reconstruction treatment.
- Laser Bronchoscopy: Laser Bronchoscopy employs high-temperature lasers to eliminate the scar tissue and offer a decent short-term relief from severe symptoms. It is usually used to treat the milder form or initial stage of tracheal narrowing.
- Tracheal Reconstruction: As the name suggests, tracheal reconstruction is, in essence, a form of surgical procedure. The chest surgeon in delhi aims to remove the scarred section of the trachea and rejoin the rest. The treatment procedure offers a long-term result and can be an ideal option for severe Stenosis.
- Bronchoscopic Tracheal Dilation: Through this procedure, the doctor uses a tracheal dilator and balloon to widen the internal section of your trachea. It offers immediate relief to the symptoms and makes you feel better right away.
The issue of tracheal narrowing is exceptionally grave and can lead to a life-threatening situation. Thus, treating it as soon as possible becomes imperative for every patient. However, the selection of the treatment procedure will depend on the health and well-being of the patient. So, be sure to treat the tracheal narrowing treatment provider to learn more about the same.